Last week, I had the great pleasure to announce my article contribution in the newest issue of 6 Bits Storybooks, an online knitting magazine that focuses not only on beautiful knitting patterns but also incorporating meaningful stories to the stitches.
During my time working with the editor Melissa, from Mskiknits, I got to learn a bit about the other members of the Storybooks team and see their amazing work in the magazine. I was absolutely blown away by the stunning photography (and modeling!) by Hannah Rose. Her photos exude a sense of woodland magic and whimsy, capturing the nostalgic feeling of meandering about in the woods in search of adventure.
Recently, Mel shared the news that Hannah will be going in for brain surgery very soon. I'm not going to talk much about the details as Hannah has already written her story on this delicate subject which I highly suggest you read here first before moving on with the rest of this post. I can't imagine how scary brain surgery can be and all of the risks involved.
The knitting community is filled with many charitable knitters who are always ready to dedicate themselves to an admirable cause. Brain surgery patients are required to shave their heads or get a short haircut. I don't think many of us really appreciate how fundamental our hair contributes to self-expression, confidence and just feeling comfortable in our own skin.
In light of these events, Aroha Knits is teaming up with 6 Bits Storybooks to put together an Instagram KAL to support Hannah and other patients of brain surgery:
Hats for Hannah KAL
- Pick two of the four hat patterns from the 6 Bits Storybooks Issue of Dwell (see below).
- Search through your yarn stash for your two favourite skeins of Worsted weight yarn.
- Choose which hat+yarn to knit for yourself and which hat+yarn to donate.
- Post your WIP and FO images onto Instagram using the hashtag #hatsforhannah.
- Send donations to Melissa at the address below before March 17th. She, in turn, will send the donations to Hannah.
6 Bits Storybooks
PO Box 297
Holly Ridge, NC 28445
If you already have some hats in your stash that you are willing to donate, you are more than welcome to donate them!
Melissa will be providing these lovely prizes:
- One skein of Spacecadet Yarn in the color way Longing (as used for Linden)
- One Skein of Spacecadet Yarn, Thebe base
- 3 Patterns of Your Choice (from MSkiKnits' Ravelry store, or from 6 Bits Storybooks*)
- Next Issue of 6 Bits Storybooks, Reflect
I, too, will be giving away some prizes!
- A package filled with Japanese treats!
- One skein of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter in the color way "Blanket Fort"
- One skein of Mrs. Crosby
- 2 Aroha Knits patterns of your choice
*Exception are patterns that are subscription only.